Tuesday, November 28, 2006

...it depends on who payed for my pizza this week

This is an old entry that I hadn't posted, so here it is now:

Today I attended an ophthalmology interest group. I didn't attend because I was interested in the specialty, but rather because I woke up late and was not able to make a lunch. They served pizza. Having said that, I found myself really interested in the field. Apparently it is easy to make half a million a year and if you wanna work as much as 70 hours a week, it is pretty easy to make over a million. And then as an ophthalmologist you restore people's sight. The field is not very demanding in terms of getting a residency or workload.

Then as I walked away from the meeting, I realized what is happening to me. All these interest groups talk up their professions, and my weekly specialty aspirations are directly related to the weekly interest group I attend. So, yeah, my medical ambition is directly tied to who pays for my pizza on any given week.

No comments: