Saturday, December 30, 2006

First Medical Advice

During finals, I went to a neurology interest group meeting to grab a bite of pizza. I actually enjoyed this one, as I learned a little bit about headaches. Incidentally, I also learned ten reasons to never had sex (but that will have to wait for another entry).


So, it turns out that all headaches are migraines. Well, not all of them, but pretty much every headache both I and you have ever had were migraines. That is, unless you have had a sub-arachnoid hemorrhage, a coital headaches (one of the reasons to not have sex), or a brain tumor (there may have been others). It turns out that basically all headaches from mild to severe are migraines. They come on by the same means and have the same symptoms, though some are more severe.


When you have a headache your stomach shuts down and digestions stops. This includes the pumps that make stomach acid, which is what digests the medicine that you take for migraines. So, if it seems as though your medicine does not work, or works slowly, it is because the medicine is not getting into your system. One way to get it in their faster is to crush the medicine and drink it with carbonated soda. Apparently that will get it into your system faster.


The other day, I had a headache. I tried the above advice that I am now giving and it seemed to get rid of my headache faster than normal.

No comments: