Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Only cars in the parking lot

Well, surgery is done and true to form I hardly recorded any of it in my blog. So much for getting third year off to a good start. I do have a good excuse though: Surgery. I did general surgery here at MCG with the GI team. I was one of the first 4 cars in the parking lot every morning (5:00am): (literally, the first 4 cars - me and my 3 buddies also doing general surgery)



I usually didn't leave until 7:00-7:30pm. My first morning there, they gave me 6 patients (supposedly the max was 4) to go visit to learn all I could about them and them be able to present their story a half hour after I started - this is called pre-rounding. Keep in mind this was my first day and I had no idea what I was doing. I was able to at least meet my 6 patients, but when it came time to present them to the chief resident, I had no idea what to report. I'm pretty sure my presentation went something like: "Um, they're cool, no problems." Later in the day both interns (1st year residents, aka bottom of the bottom of the barrel - right above medical students) on our service pulled me aside to tell me that my presentations sucked - I emphatically let them know that I agreed with them, but I also let them know they had unrealistic expectations of me my first day. I'm a firm believer in being thrown into the water and I will learn how to swim, but don't be a punk about telling me how bad I am doing. Needless to say my second day was better and it was all uphill from there.

I did pull a couple weeks where I worked over 90 hours. Those were long.

Anyway, I am now on Radiology. We all refer to it as "radiholiday." I think I like it so much because I love not working. Literally, the doctors come in around 9:30am and as near as I can tell they are gone by 5:00p. And you know they are making decent money. Here is a picture of what me and my buddy Garrett did last Friday before work:



FISHING! Radiology as a potential career, here I come!

4 comments:

Ben said...

Ah the joys of surgery as an MS3. Radiology sounds sweet. Anything that involves no work is fantastic. Anyway, we have a blog now - ourmorrowmoments.blogspot.com if you want to check it out.

Calloways said...

You sound like grey's anatomy....working in the hospital so awesome!!! Radiology does sound interesting...you could be one, I could work for you and we could all get off work at 2:30 everyday!! Sweet!

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Where's my MOZPED? I was there just as early!... Oh yeah, I get to park next to the door at the bike rack. Suckers!

Anonymous said...

Oh, there's more cars just not in that row. Do you think the patients take care of each other all night?
And Calloway...working in a teaching hospital -or any other hospital for that matter-bears little resemblance to the real thing.
This Rob guy's just playin wit choo.