Wednesday, February 07, 2007

incentives

Today I realized how much I am like Haley's kids. I need incentives, I need a lot of them and I need them often. It gets hard when you study all the time to get excited about studying. It gets old and after putting in 6 hours in a given day it is easy to give up and say that is enough (and really, it probably should be). However, if I'm gonna get an A in biochemistry and physiology, I need to study a little more. You would think that getting an A is incentive enough, but that A doesn't come until the end of the semester, and my current standing isn't posted anywhere online where I can easily access it. So, the A incentive does not meet my criteria for incentives. Luckily, there are other little incentives that float in front of me every now and then that keep me focused. For example, I study with Andrew. He is really smart and I really want to be smarter than him (which will not happen any time soon, by the way). But, I study hard so that I can know the material better than him. Another incentive I have is the competitive residency interest group meetings that I go to. Today I attended the cardiology IG and the radiology IG. Both are very competitive fields that require good grades. At these meetings, they remind you how good your lifestyle can be and how good the money will be if you study hard now. Again, good incentive for me to put in those extra few hours at the end of the day.

Okay, my other incentive for going to study after I am done with this entry: I just discovered this new drink called "Vault" which drinks like a soft drink but kicks like an energy drink (or something like that). Anyway, it has like 4x the caffeine as my normal coke and I just finished polishing off a 20oz like a half hour ago and I am wired. Bring on the intracellular signal transduction cascades! I'm ready to make you mine.

No comments: