Monday, August 06, 2007

In Session

Monday, August 06, 2007
11:23 PM

School started today. Luckily they are easing us back into things by starting the year out with a week of ECM, or Essentials of Clinical Medicine. This is the class where they teach us how to interact with patients and how to be doctors. Many people view this as a useless class, but really it is the actual class where they teach us how to be doctors. I think it is good, though last year's ECM was riddled with problems. This year they are revamping ECM for our class which could either be really good or bad depending on how things go. I don't like the idea of being a guinea pig, but if that's what it takes than experiment away.

I'm trying to set up some goals to follow:
○ Work Out
○ Shadow some doctors (figure out what I want to do in medicine)
§ My top 4 choices right now for specialty:
□ Anesthesiology
□ Dermatology
□ Radiology
□ Opthalmology
§ On the radar:
□ Plastic Surgery
□ Emergency Medicine
§ Bottom choices:
□ Gynecology
□ General Practitioner
□ Psychiatry
□ General Surgeon
○ Keep myself organized (clean and on schedule)
§ Try to ward off ADD (undiagnosed)
§ Prioritize and don't waste so much time
I probably have other goals too, but those are the big ones that come to mind. Now that they are written down, I have to do them, right?

To get things rolling, I worked out with Andrew today. After our third set of bench press, I realize that Andrew wants to keep going. 3 more sets later, my boobies really hurt. Then we do the shoulder press and decide that we are done with weights for the day. My boobies are really gonna hurt tomorrow. After that, we decide to play on the elliptical machines. 20 minutes later, I am gasping for breath and barely able to walk. I then make the comment "I wonder if they have stair steppers here." Andrew found them and I'm not sure if he mistook my comment for "I wanna climb on the stair steppers now" or just thought that we needed to work out a little more. 10 minutes later, nearly passing out, I make it to the locker room shower that doesn't seem to turn cold enough. Good first day working out. Hopefully I'll make to a second.

Oh, and it happened to be the hottest day of all time. Compounding the problem, I get a parking ticket my first day back because I haven't picked up my new sticker yet. I should probably note that I had to park my car SOMEWHERE in order to walk into the building to get my sticker. That is basically what happened. I parked, went to class, then to the parking office. Then realized I have a ticket, go back to said parking office, tell them they are dumb for giving out tickets on the first day of class because this is the first day everybody is back and we are all getting our stickers today. Lady was reluctant to see my point but eventually caved with a stern warning about what would happen "next time."

Oh, and I almost forgot: I totally ran out of gas today. I met Haley for lunch and on the way home I ran out on the freeway. Haley was able to quickly get me a little gas to get me going (she had already gotten off on her exit --needed to make a walmart run). As I waited for my return, I quickly remembered how this was the hottest day of all time. Turns out that your AC doesn't work when you are out of gas.


Good night.

No comments: