Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Day 1

First day of medical school went off with a bang. I got stuck on the 13th street bridge going into Augusta for about 15 minutes, which made me late for class, and then when I finally got to school, I couldn't find an access road to get into the parking lot, so I parked in the center lot, which I am not supposed to do. So I walk into class 10 minutes after lecture started. Luckily there was a seat on the front row and I could hide in a corner. Then after anatomy lab, I realized I had forgotten my lunch at home. Luckily I didn't get a ticket, I didn't miss anything important at the beginning of class, and there was some cheap pizza in the cafeteria I could eat.

I am definitely starting medical school on the right foot. Actually, today was a really good day, apart from the preceding paragraph. We started off first thing in the morning dissecting our cadavers. It was incredible. I can't believe how much ground we covered in the first few hours of medical school. We observed all the major muscles of the back, many of the nerves, and then we dissected through the vertebrae to reach the spinal cord. From the looks of the cadaver, I don't know if I am cut out for surgery. Oh, and I don't eat red meat any more. I honestly think I am giving up pot roast. From here on out, it is chicken and fish for this sailor.

I am getting to meet a lot of cool people in school. Everybody seems really glad to be there and eager to get to know each other and help one another out. Tonight, Haley and I went bowling with the class. In fact, they have an activity planned for every night of this week. I don't think we will make it out to the rest of them, though. Medical school is going to be tough, but I think I am going to love it. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deer in the headlights. Classic.

Anonymous said...

does this comment thing here work?