Sunday, August 13, 2006

...dude

When they say that medical school is like being fed information through a fire hose, they weren't kidding. I have learned more this week than the past two years combined (not counting practical information learned at derm and vein). From embryonic development to muscles of the neck to mitochondria and the electron transport chain to critiquing doctor-patient interactions, the first week of school has been intense. I think my pattern is going to be lecture from 8-12 in the morning, followed by some intense studying from 12:30-6:00pm. That way I can save my evenings to spend with Haley and hopefully limit my study time on the weekends.

I was going to do more studying this weekend than what I ended up doing. What can I say? The garage needed organizing, the cars needed their oil to be changed, and the lawn needed a good mowing. I didn't even crack a book on Saturday and put off all the studying until today. And then Haley and I, in an effort to be social, had people over to the house on Saturday and Sunday. Luckily, I did get in a couple hours of study today.

Back to school. It is a lot of fun, as I am getting to meet tons of new people. I don't know if being married forces you to lose any inhibitions and shyness I had as a single person, but my ability to make new friends has really grown in recent years. I think it is because Haley is the only person I care about impressing any more these days, so I just go all out. I even went a played soccer on Friday with a bunch of MSI's and MSII's (referring to medical school year I and II, respectively). Us MSI's, whooped up on the second years, the final score being 7 to 0. I am sure we hurt their egos. That isn't to say that I did anything of note during the hour and a half of play. In fact, I felt like I was going to die just trying to keep up with the rest of the team. I had the incredible foresight to bring a black shirt to play in the 99 degree weather. Being horribly out of shape didn't help things too much either.

I better shut this one down, seeing as how week two of MSI starts in a meager 6.5 hours. Good night and good luck. May your week involve less thinking than mine will. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice mower. Is that the Husqvarna with a 5.5 HP Honda engine? Nice. Real nice.

Anonymous said...

Rob--I'd like you to stop using big words in your blogs like "mitochondria" and "embryonic" and "soccer" and stuff. Let's keep this blog reader-friendly and focus on real-life medical issues like the advancements in nipple enlargement surgery (which, by the way, I would be your first volunteer candidate if you decide to specialize in that discipline).

Eggy said...

Andy, if this whole PR crap doesn't work out, seriously, you should go into the specialized field of professional blog commentarying.