Thursday, August 24, 2006

So, maybe I don't have to become a plumber…


So, no new entries in a while. I simply don't have the time. Yesterday I finally told Haley about a hilarious thing that happened to me a week ago. I couldn't believe that I hadn't already told her, and then I realized how much time I have been spending with my notes and textbooks.


So, here's the hilarious story that I had forgotten to share with Haley. In class, they give us practice at becoming doctors (this is only a small part of the course load, and to be honest, it only seems to take precious anatomy study time away from me). Anyway, I am practicing with a fellow MALE classmate in front of two observers, one another classmate and the other my preceptor. As the patient, I was given the role of flirtatious. Yeah, I had to act that one out with a male classmate. It was rather odd.


I have been studying non-stop for the past week and a half. Literally, after class until about 12:30 every night (at least the last couple nights). I'm not crazy, its just that today was our first test. It composed of 83 questions, first thing in the morning. Straight after class, We had another two hour lecture, that I have consequentially been studying all day (we have a test on that stuff next Friday). Given how much I studied for that test, you would have thought that I couldn't have possibly missed any questions. Well, it was a tough test that covered a TON of material. I got the average grade, which I will not divulge, which I am really happy with. Considering that I am in a class of geniuses and overachievers, who studied just as hard as I did, I am happy with my average grade. As long as there were geniuses and overachievers who did worse than me, I am happy.


That whole competing against only yourself stuff is such bull. We are all competing for residency positions, for patients, and for money the rest of our lives. Having said that, MCG is great because everyone is out to help each other out. I have met some great people to study with and we all help each other out. Sure we are competing, but at least we are cordial about it. Luckily I didn't get the high grade in the class, otherwise I would have nowhere to move in the class. At least in the middle, I have options.

No comments: