Thursday, July 26, 2007

Things I learned In Church

Thursday, July 26, 2007
10:32 AM

This past Sunday, this kid gets up to give a talk in front of the entire congregation. During his little speech, he talked about how grateful he is for all the things he had at scout camp that pioneers didn't have a hundred and fifty years ago: Things like "rope and pocketknives." All they had were "sticks and stones." I think he was a little confused. I think Adam and Eve probably had knives and rope. I could tell by the look on the bishop's face that he too was confused at this comment.

Later, in Sunday school this guy was teaching about faith. He tried to compare faith to electricity and explained something to the following effect: "we know when we flip a switch that the electricity will cause the lights to come on. Nobody knows how electricity works. It is all just theory. When we flip the switch, we have faith that this magical thing called electricity will work to turn on the lights." I was actually pretty sure that I learned in high school and then college how electricity works. True, there are some things that we don't get, but I'm not sure I would refer to electricity as a "theory." We have sure gotten quite far in the information era with computers and electronics based solely on theory.

No comments: